Welcome to the German Shepherd Rescue website!
We are located at 417 N Moss Street, Burbank, CA 91502 near Victory and Magnolia Blvds., and we’re open Saturdays and Sundays from 1-5pm.
Click the Available Dogs tab above to see pictures of our pups that are currently looking for their forever homes. If you’re interested in meeting any of our dogs or starting the adoption process we suggest submitting the Adoption Application online so we have time to process it before you arrive at the kennel. As our dogs find homes it makes room for new dogs to be rescued from city and county shelters so check back often to see if we have your future new best friend.
We are also looking for new volunteers. Our organization is a non-profit and we are entirely staffed by volunteers so we need all the help we can get. If you or someone you know (or if you can spread the word through your social network) is interested in volunteering please don’t hesitate to contact us. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can stop by the kennel when we’re open to apply.
We will be closed on Easter Sunday
We will be closed for the day on Sunday, April 1st so our volunteers can spend time with their families. The rescue will be open Saturday, March 31st from 1-5pm for normal adoption hours. Thank you to everyone for your continued support of the German Shepherd Rescue.
The following is a list of some everyday things that we need and use regularly. Any help that you can provide goes directly to taking care of the dogs and helping to get them into their forever homes. Thank you!
- Monetary donations – This is our most pressing need. We are a volunteer run rescue and every dollar goes directly to getting dogs out of city and county shelters, caring for them, vet visits, and medication. All it takes is one medical emergency to set us back, or a donation could provide us with the means to rescue a dog that requires medical attention or has special needs.
- Costco gift cards for food and supplies
- Canned food – We like Pedigree or Trader Joe’s. We mix it with the dry food so the dogs have a varied and mixed diet.
- Dry food – We use Costco Nature’s Domain brand dog food. It nutritious and balanced and a very good diet for dogs.
- Slip Collars – or commonly known as choke chains, the 18″ to 24″ sizes are best for GSDs. Yes they have big heads and thick necks! We use them for gentle corrections while walking and training the dogs and we send you home with one when you adopt.
- Dog Collars – Kwik Klip Adjustable Dog Collar – Large size in purple color. All of our dogs wear a purple collar and we send you home with one when you adopt.
- Leashes – Double Layer Dog Lead – 6 feet nylon in purple of course! All of our adoptees go home with a new leash as well!
- K9 Advantix II Flea & Tick – 55lbs. and up. We don’t want you bringing more pets home than you want!
- Dog Waste Bags – There’s a lot of pooping going on over here. When we walk the dogs we try to be good neighbors and citizens and always clean up after our pups. Used plastic grocery bags, plastic newspaper bags and the like will work as well and they’ll be getting a second use before being thrown out.
Please don’t forget to re-register your Ralph’s Card!
It expires every year on September 1st. Every time you shop at Ralph’s and use your Rewards Card they donate up to 4% of your purchase price to The German Shepherd Rescue! Just click on the link below to go to the Ralph’s Community Programs webpage. Under “Participant” at the bottom click on the orange button that says “Enroll Now” for instructions on how to sign up for the first time or re-register your card with GSRescue. Our organization number is “82517” and we are listed as “GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE/ORPHAN“. If your Ralph’s receipt doesn’t say “German Shepherd Rescue” on the very bottom then it’s time to renew.
When it comes to doggy beds, not all of our dogs are as lucky as C.J.
We’re making a special donation request for Kuranda Beds for some of our dogs. They are a comfortable, elevated, chew-proof, easy-to-clean dog bed that lifts the dog off the cold hard concrete and provides firm orthopedic support for older dogs or dogs with joint discomfort. It would be a valuable donation that would last for years to come and benefit many dogs while they wait for their forever homes (and forever beds). The Large or X-Large would be ideal for German Shepherds. You can use the link below to get a special rescue discounted price. Thank you from all our pups! (pictured above: C.J. who was adopted in 2012)
Do you shop on Amazon.com? Amazon will give .5% of Amazon Smile purchases to GS Rescue if you sign up. To sign up visit http://smile.amazon.com Under pick your own charitable organization, search for German Shepherd Rescue Tehachapi.
We are always accepting Frontline donations to keep our dogs flea and tick free. We are asking for donations of Frontline Plus for Dogs 45-88 lbs (The purple package with the Dalmatian on the front) to make sure that when you welcome your new shepherd into your home you don’t get any uninvited guests.
Welcome to the German Shepherd Rescue – Burbank website.
You can visit our available dogs at:
417 N. Moss St.
Burbank CA 91502
We are open on Saturday and Sunday only, from 1-5pm.
German Shepherd Rescue is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
WE THANK THE PEDIGREE FOUNDATION FOR THEIR SUPPORT.
THE PEDIGREE FOUNDATION LOGO IS A TRADEMARK OF MARS, INCORPORATED AND IS USED WITH PERMISSION.
We would like to thank Trader Joe’s and Natural Balance for their continuous food donations.